Good morning! Actually, I should say good freezing cold morning. We’ve got a current temperature of 1 whopping degree in Chicago right now. But I can’t really complain since it’s well below zero in my hometown of Minneapolis. ROUGH! With these bitter cold temps, what could be better than a big pot of comforting chicken soup with a kick?
Yesterday I adapted a recipe that I stumbled upon for spicy Crockpot chicken soup from Kristen at swankydietitian.com. I kept the recipe the same for the most part, with some slight alterations.
Spicy Crockpot Chicken Soup
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition facts: 1 serving= 227 cals, 24g carbs, 2g fat, 30g protein (without cheese)
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1, 8 oz can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth, 28 oz total
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1/2 tbs chili powder
- Combine diced onion and bell peppers in Crockpot
- Top with chicken breasts
- Add Rotel, corn and beans over chicken breasts
- Top with chicken broth and remaining spices
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Remove chicken from Crockpot, shred, and return to soup
- Serve and top with cheddar cheese
I’m normally not a big soup person, but this was so hearty and chunky I just absolutely loved it! The leftovers will definitely last me the rest of the week, which is always a plus. I did add a little extra chili powder to my bowl, so if you like a little extra kick you may want to add more chili powder to the recipe. You may also try serving this soup with a dollop of plain greek yogurt or light sour cream!
I’m off to kick today’s lower body workout’s butt! This week is the start of my heavier weight phase in my current workout plan with no more than 3 sets of 6-8 reps per exercise. Look out legs, it’s going to get tough!