It’s the weekend!

But I still have one work day to go…nice.

At around 6:00 tonight my weekend will officially begin and I’ll be setting out on the four hour drive to Minneapolis. Mike and I are going to the Timberwolves game this weekend. Wahoo!

Let me talk about yesterday. I’ve been really good about getting my workouts in before work lately, but yesterday it just didn’t happen. I had planned to go for a morning run followed by a legs workout. When my alarm went off at 6:30 and I saw that it was pitch black and 20 degrees outside, I decided to snooze.

My run yesterday was supposed to be an easy 3 miles. It would have been my fifth run of the week. Five runs is starting to seem a little excessive for me. I’ve noticed since I started my half marathon training I’ve been giving up a lot of my time in the gym lifting weights in order to fit my runs in. I’ve decided that I’m going to break the rules and cut my training down to 4 runs per week when I’m just not feeling that extra run.

I woke up an hour after I had originally planned and made myself a breakfast that I haven’t had in several weeks. Oatmeal!


Topped with sliced banana, almond milk, blueberries and very runny PB2.


All mixed up! I was on a real oatmeal kick for months. A few weeks ago I decided it was time to start mixing in some variety with breakfast. The re-introduction of oatmeal into my morning routine was a great idea for a chilly “spring” day.

The decision to sleep in and skip my run was also a good idea. I arrived home from work around 7:00 and headed down to the gym shortly after. I was still feeling a little unmotivated, but really wanted to get an effective lower body workout in.

I came up with what I’m calling the lazy legs workout, since laziness just seemed to be in the air for me yesterday.

lazy legs

Flew by in about 30 minutes, which felt like forever due to the awful atmosphere in the gym. There are some people in my apartment building that just have the worst gym etiquette. About 10 of those people were in there at the same time as me and it was extremely distracting.

BUT I was happy I accomplished what I set out to do. The rest of the night was spent being on call, which means I stay up until 2:00 a.m. listening to the police scanner. TV life is glamorous. Since I stayed up so late, my tummy started grumbling around 1:00 a.m., and although I try to shy away from bed time snacks, I figured this was another time it was okay to break the rules. Plus, my body was clearly trying to tell me something

I fixed myself a little napkin of Kashi Golean Crunch cereal and half of a homemade protein ball.


Perfect little amount!

Now, I’m off to work for a couple stories that I’m actually excited about. You never know what kind of news you’ll get on a Saturday.