In my last blog post I noted that I had an 8 mile run planned for last Sunday. Well, it was raining/snowing and winds reached 35 mph that day. A run was not happening. Unfortunately, I’ve worked long hours every day since then. I had a day off today and was finally able to get my run in!
It’s only about 40 degrees here today. We’re kind of in the middle of a cold streak. I thought my cold weather running gear would stay packed away until November, but I guess that’s not the case.
Not one bit amused. My run went pretty well for the first half, and I was able to stay below a 9:00/mile pace. About half way through, I started to feel a blister developing on the arch of my left foot. I’ve been running in my current shoes since January and have never felt any discomfort whatsoever. The pain only increased though the second half, but I pushed through!
I’m okay with my time, but I’m not thrilled with it. I really hope I can stay below 9 minute miles on race day. I need to fix this blister issue sooner than later, though. Maybe thicker socks? Maybe it’s my stride? Not sure.
Anyway, after my run I was more than ready to refuel. I knew I had some black beans and ground turkey on hand so I went for a turkey, black bean & spinach quesadilla.
I’m a big homemade quesadilla fan. I make them for lunch or dinner probably once a week, and love mixing it up with different ingredients. Here’s what went into today’s version:
- Light Flatout tortilla
- 2 oz cooked ground turkey
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained
- handful chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- a few jalapeno slices
- pinch of salt, cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder
- combine all ingredients except cheese in a bowl, mix in seasonings
- heat a panini press with flat side facing out, or a medium skillet, spray with non-stick cooking spray
- put ground turkey mix on inside of tortilla, top with cheese, and fold over
- place on panini press and close for about 3-5 minutes. If using a skillet, flip after about 3 minutes. Just keep an eye on it.
- top with plain greek yogurt, salsa, or guacamole!
Hit the spot. I’m feeling very fatigued from that run for some reason. I need to get my butt in gear and go run some errands!