I make protein pancakes a lot. Sometimes they’re delicious, and sometimes they’re kind of a fail. It can be tough to get the perfect texture, especially when you’re using protein powder. They can dry out easily and even get a little crispy. Not good.
This morning’s blueberry protein pancakes were a success! And like all my protein pancakes, they’re super easy to make.
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 egg whites
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tbs ground flax
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any other kind of milk)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until batter is smooth.
- Cook half the batter in a heated skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, repeat with other half of batter.
- Top with more fresh berries, nuts, but butter or syrup.
I almost always top my pancakes with PB2 when I have it on hand. I like to add a little extra water to give it more of a peanut butter sauce consistency. I also added fresh blueberries that I heated in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
The texture of these pancakes was about an 8 on a scale of 1-10. To me, that’s a success. They would be perfect with maybe a little cottage cheese added to the batter to moisten them a bit. Next time!
The rest of my day has included catching up on some news events, hitting the gym, and grocery shopping for the week. Mangoes were on sale today and I felt compelled to buy a couple. I don’t remember the last time I bought a mango.
I’d almost forgotten how amazing mangoes are. For lunch, I cut one up and added it to some plain greek yogurt with chopped pecans, protein powder and lots of cinnamon. So good! I’m feeling tropical now. Which is perfect, since I’m about to go lay out in the sun for the rest of the day!