Good morning! I have an extra delicious and mildly healthy recipe to share this morning- Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread. It’s been a pretty rough week due to the fact that I had three midterms within 24 hours of each other, two basketball games and of course, practice. Not to mention work every day! After my midterms on Wednesday I really felt the need to do something therapeutic. What could be more soothing than baking banana bread?
I based this recipe off of one that I always make at work with the kids I babysit. However, their recipe consists of chocolate chips, white sugar, white flour, and not a whole lot of nutrition. So, I improvised! The end result was better than expected.
Makes 1 small (8×4) loaf
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tbs salted butter, softened
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Sift together flours, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar together until well combined
- Add bananas, egg, apple sauce and vanilla extract to butter mixture
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, combine well.
- Fold in chopped walnuts
- Pour batter into a small (8×4) greased and floured loaf pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before removing onto a wire rack.
I must say I am pretty proud of myself for this recipe. It came out so moist and dense. The flour ratios were perfect, too. I might use something besides white sugar next time. Maybe some sugar free maple syrup? Or a combination of the two? Who knows! What a great little treat for this freezing week in Chicago.